© Gairnshiel Lodge 2014
Gairnshiel Lodge is a former Victorian Hunting Lodge on the banks of the River Gairn in beautiful Royal Deeside. 50 miles west of Aberdeen, 6 miles from the village of Ballater and 5 miles from Balmoral Castle, Gairnshiel enjoys spectacular views over Glengairn towards Ben Avon and beyond. Built in 1746, the original structure was extended in Victorian times until it was suitable for use as a hunting lodge. King George V shot here during the 1920's, as did King George VI and HRH Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (then Duke and Duchess of York). Please ask to see their signatures in our game book.
Both Morven and Corndavon Cottages were built in 2012. They are names after two local hunting lodges. Morven Lodge was built by the Keiller family (famous for jam) and then demolished for its stone to build the Craigendarroch Hotel in Ballater. Corndavon Lodge stands on the banks of the River Gairn about six miles West of Gairnshiel Lodge. It’s walls are adorned inside by magnificent murals depicting the surrounding area. The murals were painted in 1968 by Philip Erskine at the personal request of H.M Queen Elizabeth,The Queen Mother.
|Trails & Attractions|